ROBERT CHUNG is a seasoned corporate finance professional with more than 25 years of transaction experience in mergers and acquisitions, business valuations, IPOs and secondary equity offerings, financial and strategic advisory projects, leveraged buyouts and private placements. Bob has advised middle market and large capitalization companies in a variety of industries including Technology, Media and Telecommunications, Medical Technology / Biotechnology, Alternative Energy, Oil, Consumer / Retail and Financial Services.
Bob is a Director in Burr Pilger & Mayer’s (“BPM”) Valuation Services Group. His engagement experience includes the execution and management of various financial analyses and valuations of public and private business entities, equity securities, intangible assets, partnership interests, restricted stock and derivative instruments.
Before BPM Bob was with PricewaterhouseCoopers’ Transaction Services group where he focused on business valuations. While at PwC, Bob advised SanDisk in its series of acquisitions in the solid state drive space. Prior to joining PwC, Bob was Chief Financial Officer of MediaRing Ltd., a Singapore-based VOIP technology and services company. Bob helped lead MediaRing’s successful IPO, becoming the first loss-making company allowed to list on the Main Board of the Stock Exchange of Singapore.
Bob’s experience throughout the US, Asia and Europe includes his role as an Executive Director in the Technology and Telecommunications Investment Banking Group of CIBC World Markets in Singapore where he focused primarily on the semiconductor sector in Asia. He was previously a Director in the Technology Investment Banking Group of Cowen & Company where he executed M&A and capital raising transactions across a variety of technology sectors.
Bob earned an MBA in Finance from The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania and a BA in Economics from Harvard University.
- Advised SanDisk in its series of acquisitions (Pliant Technology, FlashSoft Corp. Schooner Information Technology) in the solid-state disk drive space. Acquisitions were core to SanDisk’s strategy to acquire key SSD technology and further expand into new horizontal product markets.
- Advised Lam Research in its $3.7 billion acquisition of Novellus Systems
- Advised Spansion in its $294 million acquisition of Saifun Semiconductors
- Advised Clorox in its $935 million acquisition of Burt’s Bees
- Advised Cadence Design Labs in its $285 million acquisition of Verisity, an Israel-based verification software company
- Advised Peabody Energy in its $441 million acquisition of three Australian coal mines from RAG Coal International
- Advised PT Astra International in the $90 million sale of its PT Astra Microtronics Technology subsidiary to Newbridge Capital. The transaction was originated and completed at the height of the Asian Financial Crisis.
- Advised UltraCision, a laparoscopic technology company, in its $70 million sale to Johnson & Johnson
- Advised Intellution, a process control software company, in its $84 million sale to Emerson Electric
- Managed a $28 million IPO and a $95 million secondary offering for ASE Test Limited
- Managed a $60 million IPO for Panavision
- Lead-managed a $46 million IPO for IDT Corp.
- Lead-managed a $34 million secondary offering for Brightpoint
- Advised Magyar Hitel Bank in the $200 million sale of its investment in Tungsram Rt. to General Electric