JOEL CHIMHANDA has over 14 years Investment Banking deal experience gained in the Africa Division of one of SA top 4 banks and JC Capital, a niche M&A advisory boutique he founded in 2005. Joel brings a strong track record of proven success in very difficult transactions across a variety of industries and in multiple stages and types of investment to IBI in South Africa.
Joel’s investment banking expertise covers M&A, project & infrastructure finance, private equity investment appraisal & strategy. Joel has experience managing regional business operations balance sheet and profit & loss. He is an expert in process re-engineering, new market entry strategies, cost & efficiency optimisation strategies, introduction of corporate governance best practice, integration of acquisitions and businesses turn-around strategies. Joel brings extensive sub-Sahara Africa strategic, operating and general management experience, having worked as an operator in various multi-national corporations over the 10 years prior moving into the M&A industry. His work experience covered operations in the UK, Belgium, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Lesotho Swaziland, Botswana, Namibia and Mozambique. Joel’s deal execution experience covers a diverse range of transactions including the lead advisor role in acquisition of 5 banks in SADC region and joint advisor (with Global Capital Markets Investment Bank) in the set up of an Africa Infrastructure Fund. As Head of Investment Banking in the Africa Division of one of SA top 4 Banks, he was co-advisor in negotiating a proposed Africa Private Equity Fund joint venture with one of top global US Insurance Groups. Other corporate finance transaction experience include the IPO of ICT company on JSE, M&A of an ICT company on JSE and special advisor to four SA Group CEOs in executing their M&A expansion strategies.
Prior to entering the Investment Banking industry in 1997, Joel held positions as CFO in multinational corporations and Manager in one of top 4 Audit firms. He served as a board member of 4 SADC country banks and an asset management company. Joel represented Africa Division MD as a member of Private Investor Africa (“PIA“) Secretariat in Brussels. PIA comprises the MDs of top sub-Sahara Africa multi-national corporations Barclays Africa, Heineken, Guinness, Lafarge, MTN, Standard Bank Group, CFAO and Unilever.
Joel is an Accounting Science Graduate from UNISA and completed an Advance Management Programme with GIBS (University of Pretoria), and an MBA from Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management.
- Special Advisor to Group CEO of no.1 SA commuter transport group merging its rail, bus & real estate companies into a consolidated single group, $4 billion recapitalisation
- Special Advisor to Group CEO & CFO of no. 1 freight & transport group in the $3 billion sale/ disposal of non-core assets
- Joint advisor with Global Capital Market Investment Bank to set up a $300 million Africa Infrastructure Fund
- Advisor in the $80 million acquisition of 4 sub Sahara African Banks for top 4 SA Banks
- Lead Advisor of East Africa Investment Asset Management Group on issuance of $100 million expansion debt
- Advisor to CEO of leading SA supply chain logistics business in $100 million acquisition of parcels distribution franchise
- Lead Advisor in $50 million divestiture of an underperforming market leader in the supply chain & logistic sector
- Joint Advisor to the Board of JSE listed IT accompany in $100 million merger with another IT distribution and Services business
- Advisor to the Board of an East Africa Bank in the $10 million sale of a controlling stake to finance its expansion strategy
- Set-up $20 million fund for Skanska to hedge exchange risk over 5 years during construction of a pipeline