David Lee is currently a Partner and Head of Transactions with Anteil Capital Partners, a $2bn (targeted) Private Equity business affiliated with Credit Suisse Asset Management focused on acquiring minority stakes in alternative asset managers. He is responsible for sourcing, originating and executing investment opportunities in alternative asset management industry, leads a 6 person investment team, is an active member of the fundraising process, and maintains dialogue with CEOs of active targets within the company’s deal pipeline.
Prior to that he was a Director and the Head of Asset Management Investment Banking at Perella Weinberg where he was responsible for originating and executing buy-side and sell-side M&A transactions within traditional and alternative asset management sectors. He advised in $1 billion sale of minority stake in American Century Company to Nomura Holdings and advised Prudential Financial on $300m acquisition of leading tech-enabled wealth management platform. David also was a Director and Head of Strategy, M&A and Business Development for New York Life Investment Management where he advised on the $300m sale of NYL Retirement Plan Services business to John Hancock Retirement Plan Services. In addition he was involved in the acquisitions of IndexIQ from FTV Ventures and Dexia Asset Management, a global asset manager with $100bn in AUM, from Dexia Group SA.
David started his financial career as an associate with Deutsche Bank Securities in the Financial Institutions Group and was rated in the top tier of associates in his class. He advised asset managers, banks, financial technology companies, and financial sponsors on various matters across $9.0 billion in completed and pending transactions. More specifically he advised Advise Warburg Pincus and General Atlantic in $1.3bn investment into Santander Asset Management, a global asset manager and subsidiary of Banco Santander and Deutsche Bank in strategic review and proposed sale of Deutsche Asset Management businesses.
David also has an extensive background as a corporate lawyer with Seward & Kissel LLP where he represented international and domestic public and private companies, including private equity, hedge funds, and venture capital firms in all phases of negotiation and execution of private equity investments and buy-outs, mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic partnerships. Prior to that he worked for Warner Music Group Corp. and Time Warner Inc. executing strategic partnerships with independent record labels and technology companies seeking to provide new methods of digital distribution.
Dan has a B.A from the University of Of Pennsylvania and a J.D. from the Fordham University School Of Law
Financial Services M&A Transaction:
- Announced acquisition of IndexIQ, a leader in the liquid alternative exchange-traded fund (ETF) industry. Involved in early stage discussions to evaluate opportunity to participate in sale process and forming initial valuation of the business.
- Advised DST Systems in $250 million acquisition of ALPS Holdings, a portfolio company of Lovell Minnick. Extensive contact with DST senior management in developing valuation models, financial impact analysis, and preparing fairness material.
- Advised London-based specialist investment firm in final round bid for Credit Suisse Secondaries Private Equity platform. Worked directly with CFO to build projection model and develop financial impact analysis.
- Fairness opinion for Karachi Stock Exchange in connection with demutualization. Worked closely with CEO and executive management team to prepare financial projections for valuation purposes.
- Advised German-based financial services firm in bid for Activ Financial, a global provider of real-time, multi-asset financial market data and solutions.
- Advised KGS Alpha, a fixed-income broker dealer, in $100 million investment from a consortium of private equity investors led by Arsenal Capital. Lead associate working directly with founders in negotiating and drafting term sheet, partnership agreements and other transaction documentation.
- Advised Wyper Capital Management in asset sale to Royce Funds, an affiliate of Legg Mason. Lead associate primarily responsible for negotiating and drafting asset purchase agreement.
- Advised Claren Road Asset Management, a hedge fund manager, in $80 million sale of minority stake to Petershill Fund, a private investment fund that is part of the Goldman Sachs’ asset management unit. Responsible for drafting disclosure schedules and preparing closing documents.
- Advised Arden Capital Management, a $10 billion fund of funds, in JP Morgan’s investment in Arden. Primarily responsible for negotiating and drafting and commenting on purchase and sale agreement
Financial Services Capital Markets Transactions
- Starwood Property Trust (NYSE: STWD): lead bookrunner in $525 million follow-on offering in connection with acquisition of LNR Property.
- CreXus Investment Corporation (NYSE: CXS): joint bookrunner in $600 million follow-on offering in connection with acquisition of $587 million commercial real estate portfolio from Barclays: performed IRR analysis for 30 portfolio properties.
- MoneyGram International (NYSE: MGI): joint bookrunner in $540 million senior secured credit facility: developed leveraged finance model and credit memoranda for internal committees, conducting due diligence.
- Annaly Capital Management (NYSE: NLY): joint bookrunner in $1.3 billion follow-on offering of common stock: performed comparable company analysis and prepared internal committee memorandum.
- Global Cash Access (NYSE: GCA): lead bookrunner in $245 million term loan offering: worked directly with CFO to develop 5-yr projection model; also assisted in preparing investor marketing material and financial model and presentations for rating agencies.
- SS&C Technologies (NYSE: SSNC): joint bookrunner in $194 million follow-on offering of common stock: performed comparable company analysis, assisted with customer calls, due diligence, and drafting of S-1.
Other M&A transactions and Capital Markets Transactions
- Advised Dryships Inc. (NASDAQ: DRYS): in $400 million convertible notes and concurrent $150 million common stock (share borrow facility) registered offerings. Lead associate responsible for drafting and negotiating the prospectus supplements, underwriting agreements, share lending agreement and indenture. Supervised a team of four attorneys in completing transaction.
- Advised Valinor Capital as largest investor in $80 million buyout of J Brands, a luxury denim brand. Negotiated and drafted operating agreements; also performed extensive due diligence on distributor and denim supplier contracts.
- Advised Basso Capital in $35 million acquisition of Pyramid Breweries. Negotiated and drafted merger agreement and tender offer material.
- Advised Shipping Pool Investors in $90 million acquisition of 49% interest in Heidmar Inc., an affiliate of Morgan Stanley Capital. Primarily responsible for drafting all transaction and closing documents.
- Advised Vardon Capital as roll-over investor in $177 million going private transaction of Restoration Hardware, Inc. Primarily responsible for negotiating and drafting of transaction documents, including voting agreement and roll-over agreement.
- Advised Amber Capital in $40 million purchase of minority stake in Emgasud, an Argentinean energy generation and distribution company. Sole associate working closely with partner in drafting principal transaction documents, including shareholders’ agreement and subscription agreement.
- Advised Ultrapetrol in aborted $400 million sale of offshore supply business to Tidewater (NYSE: TDW). Lead associate primarily responsible for negotiating and drafting asset purchase agreements and other ancillary transaction agreements.
- Advised Aries Maritime in $36 million disposition of stock to Grandunion. Primarily responsible for drafting securities purchase agreement, voting agreement, indemnification agreement and other transaction documents.
- Advised Coghill Capital in aborted $100 million management led buy-out of online movie ticketing and advertising company. Primarily responsible for drafting stock purchase agreement and operating agreement. Provided detailed summaries of change of control effects in existing joint venture agreements.